I recently stumbled across a self-post on the /r/progmetal subreddit (an excellent way to find new music!) asking for progressive metal “dream teams,” and I jumped right into making picks. Several guitarists immediately came to mind as obvious choices, along with the handful of recognizable metal bassists, and I chose the drummer/vocalist last to best suit the style. Here’s what I came up with:
- 6 String Lead Guitar and Keys – AJ Minnette of The Human Abstract playing primary melodies on both guitar and piano (The violin)
- 8 String Rhythm Guitar – Misha Mansoor of Periphery handling low end riffs (The cello)
- 7 String Guitar – Justin Lowe of After the Burial harmonizing with leads and riffs, playing chords when necessary (The viola)
- Bass – Arif Mirabdolbaghi of Protest the Hero (The bass)
- Drums – Lyle Cooper of The Faceless playing dynamically with thoughtful displays of chops (Percussion)
- Vocals and Synth – Tommy Rogers of Between the Buried and Me using growls sparingly and providing atmospheric synth sounds where appropriate
- Band would play technical metal with classically-minded composition and a very slight djent influence.
So what’s your musical dream team? Any style, any number of members, living or dead! Leave a comment and let us know!